Welcome to the blog! Visit often, but (like this is going to work) don't steal my pictures and use them illegally or without my permission!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cloth diapering update

I love it! It fulfills my enduring need to clean stuff, haha!

I am using flat diapers (they are one layer, about 2'x2') which I have been experimenting with as far as folds go... right now I fold them into quarters and then fold the front part into thirds to come up the front of Molly's little tushie. I also bought some anti-pill fleece (1 yd) and cut into 36 strips 12"x5" which I use inside the diapers... I hear it is supposed to wick away the moisture from her skin. So far I guess it has worked. We have been going longer between wet diaper changes.

I still have to buy some new line for my clothesline so I can hang the diapers out to dry in the sun (what sun???) to sun-bleach the stains out. I'll be doing that next month.

I just throw the diapers and dirty covers and cloth wipes and whatever else is washable that I use for hygiene into a big "wet bag" in a trash can in the bathroom. I don't add anything to the diapers while they are in there. I assume that when her poo starts to stink I will have to add some sort of deodorant like baking soda. When I have used half (18) the diapers we have I take the whole bag out of the can and dump it in the washer, which I fill with cold water and a 1/4c borax and let soak for a while (who knows what a while is... between half an hour and a whole day, depending on when I remember I was doing laundry.) Then I set the washer to hot wash cold rinse with automatic extra rinse. I use my homemade detergent in the wash and pour some vinegar in the fabric softener holder for the rinse. So far the diapers have been coming out smelling... normal... I guess. Not stinky anyways.

I dry them for 60 minutes and then I get to fold them! (My favorite part.) Annie helps with folding the wipes, since they are pretty easy to fold.

If I was super picky, the only reason I would not use cloth diapers is it is bulkier than disposables and Molly looks kinda silly with the cute slim Carter's onesies on. I just have to make sure she's got a pair of pants on over them to fix that problem though. She is growing into the size covers that I have though and it's starting to look a little more normal. (though... such a weird word... I'm going to have to investigate the proper usage and the history of that word)

So overall, it's no inconvenience to use cloth diapers over 'sposies. It just takes a couple seconds longer to put them on, and a little extra time to wash them. I love them!

1 comment:

Chris White said...

When Josh and I were babies we were in cloth diapers and I seem to remember my mom scraping our poo into the toilet before she put the diapers in the hamper. You will have to e-mail her and ask her about cloth diapers.